Our award-winning youth choir has recently toured in beautiful Venice, Croatia and Slovenia.
The choir excels in Canadian competition, placing first in Ontario at the Kiwanis Festival in 2014. In 2012, under the direction of Amanda Brunk, we won top prize for mixed choir in the Summa cum Laude international festival held in Salzburg, Austria.
In addition to our own concerts, past seasons have included performances with the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony, country icon Kenny Rogers, and the innovative TorQ Percussion Quartet. We held a day-long choir festival with two high school choirs and a voice expert.
We often sing as a family of choirs, which gives a rare opportunity to explore the great choral works. Youth choir singers have joined the adult Grand Philharmonic for performances of Britten’s War Requiem, Handel’s Messiah and Mendelssohn’s Elijah.
We rehearse Tuesday evenings, which give us a chance to integrate music theory, sight singing, vocal production skills and many other aspects of music education.
Below are the events scheduled at this time. Check back regularly for updates!
Youth Choir Scholarship Program
The “GPC Youth Choir Scholarship Program” awards a scholarship, annually, to a Youth Choir member entering a music program at a recognized post-secondary institution.
The award is made possible through the generosity of Lynda and Michael Abshoff. The first recipient, selected in May 2017, was Ella Latta-Suazo, now a music student at Wilfrid Laurier University.
The award will be given in the amount of CAD $1000.
- The award is open to all graduating members of the Grand Philharmonic Youth Choir, who enter a music program at a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Graduating youth choir members who elect to take a gap year before entering a post-secondary music program, but do not remain a member of the choir during that year remain eligible to apply for the scholarship for 12 months following their graduation.
- Youth choir members who elect to sing in the Grand Philharmonic Choir following high school graduation, but before going on in a music program at a recognized post-secondary institution remain eligible to apply for the prize until they turn 25 years of age.*
- Scholarship funds can be used only for the program for which the application was made, and will be awarded for use in the following academic year.
- Award winners can defer the award for up to one year.
- Proof of acceptance to the institution indicated on the application must be provided before the scholarship will be distributed.
- If a suitable candidate is not identified, or there are no applications, the Grand Philharmonic Choir reserves the right to not award a scholarship.
Please address questions of eligibility to the choir office at: email@example.com
- Applicants will fill out an application form, available here: 2018 GPC Youth Choir Scholarship Application
- Applicants will submit a one-page Statement of Intent, describing why they intend to pursue studies in music, and how the GPYC has played a part in their musical development.
- Applicants will submit a CV outlining musical training and experience.
- Applicants will identify the post-secondary institution(s) and intended program(s) (if known).
- Applications will be reviewed and a recipient selected by the Artistic Director, the Youth Choir Conductor and two external jurors.
*Singers in this situation must not turn 25 before December 31 of the first term of study in the post-secondary program.
Upcoming Youth Choir Events
Feb 16, 17 2018 We are singing with the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony. More info here Sing Along Musicals
March 28 2018 we participate in the Kaleid Choral Festival. Buy tickets here Kaleid Tickets and Info
April 14 2018 is our spring concert. Buy tickets here Grand Night for Singing