Our Youth Choir is a wonderful way for 14- to 23-year-old singers to make beautiful music with kindred spirits.
We welcome our new conductor, Dr. Tracy Wong, and award-winning musician. Tracy recently completed her Doctor of Musical Arts (Choral Conducting) degree from the University of Toronto, and will be teaching at McMaster University this year. She has a wealth of choral conducting experience in Canada and Asia.
The Youth Choir excels in choral competition, placing first in Ontario at the Kiwanis Festival in 2014. In 2012, under the direction of Amanda Brunk, we won top prize for mixed choir in the Summa cum Laude international festival held in Salzburg, Austria.
Past seasons have included performances with the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony, country icon Kenny Rogers, and the innovative TorQ Percussion Quartet of Toronto. In 2017, we held a workshop and performance with Baroque expert Joseph Gascho from the University of Michigan, featuring excerpts from Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas.
We often sing as a family of choirs, which gives a rare opportunity to explore the great choral works. Youth choir singers have joined the adult Grand Philharmonic Choir for performances of Britten’s War Requiem, Handel’s Messiah and Mendelssohn’s Elijah. This season, some youth choir members will join for Bach’s masterpiece, St. Matthew Passion.
We rehearse Monday evenings. Rehearsals give us the opportunity to integrate music theory, sight singing, vocal production skills and many other aspects of music education. Tracy will be bringing in experts on breathing techniques and on Indigenous music to enrich the experience of Youth Choir Members.
Below are the events scheduled at this time. Check back regularly for updates!
December 1, 2018 – Joint concert with the Grand Philharmonic Children’s Choir Tickets Here! https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?show=94326
December 8, 2018 – Performance at Christkindl Market (German Christmas Market) at Kitchener City Hall
January 2019 – Workshop on Inuk music and culture with University of Toronto music professor Lori-Anne Dolloff
April 6, 2019 – Joint concert with McMaster University Choir
April 19, 2019 (Good Friday) – Bach’s St. Matthew Passion with the adult choir at Centre in the Square. Get tickets here: http://www.grandphilchoir.com/event/bach-st-matthew-passion/
April 27, 2019 – Joint concert with the Grand Philharmonic Children’s Choir, 7 p.m. at St. Matthews Lutheran Church, Kitchener
Tuesday April 30 at 5:30 – 7 p.m. is our Bring a Friend/Registration night!
We sing Carmina Burana with the KWS on May 10 and 11, 2019. See here for details https://kwsymphony.ca/concerts/carmina-burana/
The “GPC Youth Choir Scholarship Program” awards a scholarship, annually, to a Youth Choir member entering a music program at a recognized post-secondary institution.
The award is made possible through the generosity of Lynda and Michael Abshoff, and Joyce Lorimer. The first recipient, selected in May 2017, was Ella Latta-Suazo, now a music student at Wilfrid Laurier University. The 2018 recipient is Jasmine Thuroo, who will attend the Community Music program at Wilfrid Laurier University starting in Fall 2018.
The award will be given in the amount of CAD $1000.
- The award is open to all graduating members of the Grand Philharmonic Youth Choir, who enter a music program at a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Graduating youth choir members who elect to take a gap year before entering a post-secondary music program, but do not remain a member of the choir during that year remain eligible to apply for the scholarship for 12 months following their graduation.
- Youth choir members who elect to sing in the Grand Philharmonic Choir following high school graduation, but before going on in a music program at a recognized post-secondary institution remain eligible to apply for the prize until they turn 25 years of age.*
- Scholarship funds can be used only for the program for which the application was made, and will be awarded for use in the following academic year.
- Award winners can defer the award for up to one year.
- Proof of acceptance to the institution indicated on the application must be provided before the scholarship will be distributed.
- If a suitable candidate is not identified, or there are no applications, the Grand Philharmonic Choir reserves the right to not award a scholarship.
Please address questions of eligibility to the choir office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applicants will fill out an application form, available here: 2019 GPC Youth Choir Scholarship Application
- Applicants will submit a one-page Statement of Intent, describing why they intend to pursue studies in music, and how the GPYC has played a part in their musical development.
- Applicants will submit a CV outlining musical training and experience.
- Applicants will identify the post-secondary institution(s) and intended program(s) (if known).
- Applications will be reviewed and a recipient selected by the Artistic Director, the Youth Choir Conductor and two external jurors.
*Singers in this situation must not turn 25 before December 31 of the first term of study in the post-secondary program.