Pour la version française, cliquer ici
The Grand Philharmonic Choir Choral Works Competition welcomes new, unpublished and unperformed works by Canadian composers 30 years of age or under.
The GPC Choral Works Competition is a new program for composers, to encourage the creation of new music for symphonic chorus, mixed chamber choir, children’s choirs and youth choirs on an annual rotating basis.
A jury of professional musicians, including Artistic Director Mark Vuorinen, will review the applications.
The winning composer receives a prize of $1500 and a Grand Philharmonic Choir ensemble will perform the piece in one of their concerts. Funds for travel to Kitchener-Waterloo to attend rehearsals and the premiere will be available to the selected composer.
The guidelines of the competition change each year depending on which ensemble of the Grand Philharmonic Choir organization is the focus of the competition. Works must be unpublished and unperformed at the time of the competition and must follow the criteria of the competition with respect to length, instrumentation, text, etc. Securing the permission to use texts currently under copyright is the responsibility of the composer (proof of permission will be a requirement of the winning entrant).
The jury reserves the right not to name a winner, if it is felt the quality of the entries is insufficient.
To enter a work for the competition:
- Fill out and submit the registration form along with the non-refundable registration fee of $25 to the GPC office.
- Submit five (5) hard copies of the original work, notated using computer notation software in open score format (Sibelius, Finale, etc). Ensure that the composer’s name, or other identifiers do NOT appear on the score.
- The deadline for entry is November 15, 2017.
Receipt of applications will be acknowledged by the GPC office.
For more details contact:
Grand Philharmonic Choir
101 Queen Street North
Kitchener, ON, N2H 6P7
519-578-5660 x 5290
Amy Dale: email@example.com
Guidelines for Submission
2017-2018 Grand Philharmonic Choir
Choral Works Competition
Choral Works submitted must:
- be scored for large SATB mixed choir (primarily 4-parts, some divisi permitted).
- be accompanied by piano or organ, may also include percussion (one player) and/or harp.
- have a performance length between 4-6 minutes
- text choices/language are at the discretion of the composer (other works on the program when winning composition will be premiered include Bernstein’s Chichester Psalms and Poulenc’s Gloria).